Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Can you take an interest in art without being artistic or creative?

Kudos to my boyfriend for putting up with awkward questions like this a lot of the time.

So, the other day, my mind was wandering in the same old meandering fashion it normally takes, when I came across a thought that made me pause, and question, and spiral off into thoughts aplenty. Can you take an interest in art without being artistic or creative? 

I think this piqued my interest because to consider this question as viable, you need to see creativity as a spectrum. Arguably, there are many many articles and the like saying "Right Brain means you must be creative! Left Brain means maths is your only path in life!" which imply that you are only strictly Right- or Left- brained. 

But, would this then mean that Left- brained people could not have the capacity to appreciate art? They could not see the beauty in a well-composed piano accompaniment, or view a photograph only as evidence of an event and nothing more?

Perhaps, then, creativity is more of a spectrum, in that those who have a strong Left- brain can still visit a museum out of their own volition, or see a photograph and question the events and relationships and consequences behind it. 

Let me know what you think in the comments,
Pip

No comments:

Post a Comment